What is Occupational Hand Therapy at ProMotion Rehab and Sports Medicine?
There are different specialties to occupational therapy, and hand therapy is one of them. Hand therapy focuses on treating orthopedic upper-extremity issues to optimize the functional use of the arm and hand. Hand therapy is used to treat several conditions surrounding the upper extremities, including but not limited to:
- Carpal tunnel syndrome
- Nerve Compression
In general, hand therapy focuses on the biomechanical issues of upper-extremity conditions. It’s a patient-centered approach that addresses the needs of the patient, such as being able to lift objects, open a jar, or button a shirt.
Hand Therapy Is Available At Our Florence and Lake City locations!
There are several interventions that a hand therapist can make, in order to help you comfortably perform daily functions. This may include any combination of therapeutic exercises, mirror therapy, orthosis design, pain management, manual therapy, taping, ergonomics, or compression therapy. There are several activities that a hand therapist may have you perform in order to strengthen your upper extremity after an injury, such as working with putty, using a gripper, or using dumbbells.
There are several benefits to hand therapy, including:
- Preventative, non-operative or conservative treatment
- Management of acute or chronic pain
- Desensitization following nerve injury or trauma
- Sensory re-education after nerve injury
- Design and implementation of home exercise programs to increase motion, dexterity, and/or strength
- Customized splint fabrication for prevention or correction of injury
- Training in the performance of daily life skills through adapted methods and equipment.
- Conditioning prior to returning to work
Do you have an injury or medical condition that is causing pain and limiting your daily activities? Would you like to learn more about how hand therapy can help you eliminate your pain and improve performance? We’ll educate you and be happy to set up a one-on-one consultation. Our certified and caring hand therapists are committed to helping you feel better and get back to your life! Please contact ProMotion Rehab and Sports Medicine at our Camden, Florence or Lake City location today!
Additional Conditions That Our Occupational Hand Therapists Treat Include:
- CMC Arthritis
- Distal Biceps Rupture
- Distal Radius Fractures
- Rotator Cuff Tear
- Extensor Tendon Injury
- Complex Regional Pain Syndrome (CRPS)
- Fingertip Injuries
- Traumatic Shoulder Dislocation
- Frozen Shoulder
- Hand Burns
- Hand Fractures
- Hand Pain
- Scaphoid Fractures
- Ganglion Cyst
- Wrist Ligament Injuries
- Cubital Tunnel Syndrome
- Elbow, Hand & Wrist
- Finger Dislocation Injuries
- Trigger Finger
- Hand Edema
- Ulnar Collateral Ligament (UCL) Injury of the Thumb
- TFCC Injuries
- Hypermobility Syndrome
Get Started On Your Road To Recovery!
Schedule An Appointment at ProMotion Rehab and Sports Medicine today for hand therapy at our Florence or Lake City, SC location!